Register for an account

X

Enter your name and email address below.

Your email address is used to log in and will not be shared or sold. Read our privacy policy.

X

Website access code

Enter your access code into the form field below.

If you are a Zinio, Nook, Kindle, Apple, or Google Play subscriber, you can enter your website access code to gain subscriber access. Your website access code is located in the upper right corner of the Table of Contents page of your digital edition.

The Sciences

When Sophomore Optics Goes Very Very Wrong

Cosmic VarianceBy Julianne DalcantonMay 19, 2009 5:12 PM

Newsletter

Sign up for our email newsletter for the latest science news

From the Seattle PI:

solar+lens+toy.jpg

About 3 p.m. Sunday, Bellevue firefighters were called to the 17100 block of Northeast Fifth Street after neighbors saw flames and smoke. "It appears that a glass bowl, partially filled with water and elevated on a wire rack in a sunny area of the home's deck, provided the right conditions to focus the sunlight and start a fire," Lt. Eric Keenan said.

They should have listened to the warnings from the ants.

    2 Free Articles Left

    Want it all? Get unlimited access when you subscribe.

    Subscribe

    Already a subscriber? Register or Log In

    Want unlimited access?

    Subscribe today and save 70%

    Subscribe

    Already a subscriber? Register or Log In