That Word You Heard: Seiche

The sloshing in your drink shows up in lakes and bays, too.

By Lacy Schley
May 8, 2018 5:00 AMNov 12, 2019 4:25 AM
Chad Edwards


Sign up for our email newsletter for the latest science news

Ever notice how, when you take a bath, the water sloshes around when you move? The same thing happens when you scoot a cup of liquid around on a table. That sloshing movement happens on a large scale, too, in lakes and bays. It’s called a seiche (pronounced saysh), French for “to sway back and forth.” When the weather is calm, most of these bodies of water are pretty placid. But when winds pick up, when atmospheric pressure changes quickly or even when there’s enough seismic activity like an earthquake, it pushes water around, often away from the shore. In extreme cases, water retreats for so long that many people mistake it for a tide.

1 free article left
Want More? Get unlimited access for as low as $1.99/month

Already a subscriber?

Register or Log In

1 free articleSubscribe
Discover Magazine Logo
Want more?

Keep reading for as low as $1.99!


Already a subscriber?

Register or Log In

More From Discover
Recommendations From Our Store
Shop Now
Stay Curious
Our List

Sign up for our weekly science updates.

To The Magazine

Save up to 40% off the cover price when you subscribe to Discover magazine.

Copyright © 2024 Kalmbach Media Co.