Are you a 3-8 grader who loves science? DISCOVER is looking to the next generation of scientists to illustrate our October cover. We want to know what comes to your mind when you hear the word science! From astronauts and rockets to dinosaurs and polar bears, there¹s no better snapshot of the future of science in America than what science means to you.
The October special issue, focusing on the State of Science Education in America, will highlight the winner of this unique competition, and the six finalists. All will be interviewed and photographed, and have their winning drawing inside the magazine.
The deadline for submission is Friday, July 20, 2007. Click to page 2 to see the rules for the contest.
Discover Magazine Cover ContestOFFICIAL RULES
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. Subject to the additional restrictions below, the Discover Magazine Cover Contest (the “Contest”) is open to students in grades 3 through 8 who are legal residents of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. The children and legal dependents of employees of Discover Magazine (“Sponsor”), any of its affiliated companies, or any of their respective advertising and promotional agencies, or of the immediate family members of, or any persons domiciled with, any such employees, are not eligible to enter or to win. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and grandchildren.
3. How To Enter. The Contest will begin on April 30, 2007 and end on July 20, 2007 (the “Contest Period”). To enter the Contest, students must create an original work of art that can serve as the central image for the cover of Discover Magazine’s October issue, “The State of Science in America.” Specifically, the image should express “what science means to me.” Artwork should be sent to Discover Magazine Cover Contest, 90 Fifth Avenue, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10011 along with a cover page that includes the student’s full name, mailing address, and home telephone number, and the name, address and telephone number of the school the student attends. All entries must be the original work of the student and must not contain the work of any other individuals. Each entry must: (i) be no smaller than 8 1/2 x 11” and no larger than 11 x 14 1/4”; (iii) be submitted on clean, unruled and unfolded paper; and (iv) be camera ready (clean, precise and ready to be photographed for printing. Students may use any medium they desire (i.e. pencils, watercolors, pastels, etc.). All mail entries must be postmarked by July 20, 2007 and received no later than July 30, 2007. Limit one (1) entry per person. Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, delayed, mutilated, altered, illegible, damaged, postage due or misdirected entries, or entries that fail to comply with the requirements of these Official Rules, and any such entries will be disqualified. Sponsor also reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is alleged to infringe on any third-party’s intellectual property rights, or that Sponsor deems obscene, offensive or otherwise inappropriate for viewing by a general audience. All entries become Sponsor’s property and none will be returned. CONTESTANTS ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT SPONSOR WILL HAVE THE RIGHT TO USE AND PUBLISH THEIR ENTRIES, WITHOUT COMPENSATION TO THE CONTESTANTS, AS FURTHER DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH 5, BELOW.
4. Winner Selection. The editors of Discover Magazine will judge each eligible entry according its originality/creativity, artistic rendering, and universal appeal. Judging will conclude within six (6) weeks after the end of the Contest Period. The editors will select one (1) winner (the “Winner”) and may select several runners up (the “Runners Up”) at their discretion.
5. Rights Granted to Sponsor. By entering the Contest, (i) you grant Sponsor an exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable right and license to edit, reproduce, publish, display and otherwise use your entry, in whole or in part, for any purpose and in any manner or media (including, without limitation, the Internet) throughout the world in perpetuity, and to license others to do so, without limitation or further compensation; (ii) you represent that you have all rights necessary to submit your entry and to grant Sponsor the rights granted in subsection (i), above; (iii) you agree that, if your entry is selected by Sponsor as the Winner or a Runner Up, you will sign any additional license or release that Sponsor may require and you will not publicly distribute or display your entry without the express permission of Sponsor; (iv) if selected as the Winner or a Runner Up, you grant Sponsor permission to use your name, biographical information and likeness, in any media now known or hereafter developed, in connection with any use of your entry permitted herein; and (vi) you agree to release Sponsor, its affiliated companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives of each, from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with Sponsor’s exercise of the rights granted herein (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to copyright rights, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
6. Prize Description. The Winner of the Contest will have his or her winning entry published as the cover of the October issue of DISCOVER magazine and will be profiled in that issue and online at discovermagazine.com.
7. Winner Notification and Acceptance. Winners and Runners Up will be notified on or about August 13, 2007 at the telephone number and/or U.S. Mail address provided on their respective entry forms. Sponsor’s inability to reach the Winner or a Runner Up and/or the return of any notification as undeliverable may, at the sole discretion of Sponsor, result in the disqualification of such Winner or Runner Up. The Winner and each Runner Up may waive their right to receive the recognition described in Paragraph 6, above (the “Prize”). Prizes are nonassignable and nontransferable. The Winner and each Runner Up, and a parent or legal guardian of each, will be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility certifying that the entrant’s submission is entrant's original work, that entrant owns right to the work, that the submission has not previously been published, and that entrant has complied with the Official Rules of the Contest, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned within ten (10) days of date of personal delivery or date of postmark. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release within ten (10) days, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in disqualification and the selection of a substitute Winner or Runner Up (as applicable).
8. Participation. By participating, contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and the Contest judges. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to select a Winner and Runners Up based on the entries received before the termination date.
9. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
10. Sponsor. The Discover Magazine Cover Contest is sponsored by Discover Magazine. The decisions of Sponsor and the Contest judges regarding the selection of the Winner and Runners Up and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsor will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. The names of the Winner and Runners Up (if applicable) will be published in the October issue of DISCOVER magazine and on discovermagazine.com. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact CoverContest@discovermagazine.com.