Register for an account

X

Enter your name and email address below.

Your email address is used to log in and will not be shared or sold. Read our privacy policy.

X

Website access code

Enter your access code into the form field below.

If you are a Zinio, Nook, Kindle, Apple, or Google Play subscriber, you can enter your website access code to gain subscriber access. Your website access code is located in the upper right corner of the Table of Contents page of your digital edition.

Technology

Japanese Vending Machines Become Ageist Robots

DiscoblogBy Lizzie BuchenMay 13, 2008 11:36 PM
vending.jpg

Newsletter

Sign up for our email newsletter for the latest science news

Japan's legendary vending machines dispense everything from batteries and hot ramen to alcohol, cigarettes, porn, and panties purportedly worn by school girls. But these instant gratification sin machines aren't selling their wares ad libitum—well, at least not all of them. While porn and alcohol appear to be sold on the honor system, Japan began regulating the sale of cancer sticks in March this year with RFID-embedded age-verification cards (which, conveniently, can also be used to purchase the smoky treats). These cards have proven unpopular because they involve filling out applications and mailing in personal identification papers—and, like driver's licenses, are too easy for underage smokers to "borrow." Now, Japan hopes to roll out a higher-tech—and far more dubious—age-verification system: cameras that determine your age by analyzing your face. The new system takes a mug shot and compares your facial features—wrinkles around the eyes, bone structure, and skin sags—with those of over 100,000 people, ensuring that the machine only vends to people over the age of 20 (or just 19 year-olds who smoke a lot). In an earlier test with 500 people ranging from their teens to their 60s, the software was able to identify adults with 90 percent accuracy, while the other 10 percent fell into a "grey zone" and were prompted to insert their driving licenses. Never mind the creepiness of vending machines—which can already walk, and kill more people every year than sharks—scrutinizing your face, but the accuracy seems pretty suspect. How can you really compare the facial features of a small Japanese man to, say, an overweight white girl with a lot of make-up? Then again, Japan has a way of taking—shall we say— "questionable" ideas and making them work.

Image: midorisyu/Flickr

2 Free Articles Left

Want it all? Get unlimited access when you subscribe.

Subscribe

Already a subscriber? Register or Log In

Want unlimited access?

Subscribe today and save 70%

Subscribe

Already a subscriber? Register or Log In